Friday, August 27, 2010

One More Thing: Cultural Shock

“Culture shock” is a phrase that gets tossed around a lot in study abroad. Thus far, at least, I don’t see what’s so shocking about the whole thing.

For the most part, the major cultural differences in Spain seem to be things I’d get in trouble for doing at home — sleeping all day on weekends, being slightly less than punctual, eating desserts with every meal, staying out until six in the morning.

Yesterday at dinner, Miki's wife, Camino, asked Will and I if we were going to “salir” (go out) tonight. I said I didn’t know.

“Pero es el viernes, guapo!” She exclaimed, scandalized. “Todos en Madrid salen en los jueves!” (But it’s Thursday, handsome! Everyone in Madrid goes out on Thursdays!). Apparently, Thursday is the start of the weekend here and as they told us at orientation - Spaniards care more about living life than actually working.

She then proceeded to tell us that she herself would be going out at 9:30, and that if we wanted to stay home, she would teach us how to use the microwave in case we got hungry.

Like I said, culture shock is no big deal so far.

Last night, We went to a club in Sol, which is near the center of the city. The club was called "Club Joy" and the interesting thing about it was that they PUMPED OXYGEN into the club and dance floor so you would stay awake and stay at the club! And yes, it worked ... we came back at 6:30 AM and had orientation at 10 AM. Looking forward to that siesta!

Some other news:

Here is the SU Madrid website for anyone who wants to see the events and things we have set up for us.

Also, I signed up for a gym for less than 2 euros per day for 3 months that is only a 5-10 minute walk from campus in the Chamberi district of Madrid. It is called Gimnasio Chamberi

Talk to you soon! Get at me on Skype too - jonathanp21

No comments:

Post a Comment