Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cultural Differences

Falling behind in the blogosphere, but been thinking a lot about cultural differences and here's the first three that I noticed:

Customer Service: Basically, not a concept here. Waiters and waitresses take all the time in the world and are very stoic when they take your order…”what do you want?” brings your food to you, gets your money, bye. And when we want the check, it’s as if we have to yell “heyyyy, over here!” But that’s the way it is here, because no matter what, they get paid. There are no tips, just salary. So awesome for them, but for us Americans who like to be asked, “Hi there, how’s it going? Can I get anything else for you?” not so great. Here, they travel at a snail’s pace when it comes to a meal at a restaurant. Eating for a couple of hours sounds pretty good. It’s just another way of living life.

PDA: Public Displays of Affection. It’s everywhere. It’s Europe. It’s out there. They’re romantic people. When I was sitting on my lounge chair on the beach, looking out into the blue water in Ibiza, I saw this couple making out on their floaties as they drifted past and continued down the shoreline. No big deal.

Topless at the beach: Of course in Europe, this also pertains to girls. In Ibiza, and I’m sure in other places in Europe, girls were laying in the sun, swimming, and walking down the beach without their tops. So bizarre, and yet so normal for them! I am pretty sure you’d be fined in America. Again, topless girls all along the beaches, ehh no big deal.

Post on my awesome weekend in London coming up!

No comments:

Post a Comment