I have been in Madrid almost two weeks and can now impart a few more lessons on Spanish culture, since yesterday we had a lecture on customs and etiquette! Some highlights:
*When ordering in a restaurant, you don’t have to begin with “I would like” or “can I have.” You literally just say the name of the food. This will perhaps help me avoid calamities like yesterday’s.
*Contrary to the reports in all of my guidebooks, you don’t have to tip in Spain. It’s customary to leave your change or round up the bill, but no more.
*In general, Spanish people are late to social events (they have this thing called a “five minute courtesy,” like “it’s totally okay if you’re five minutes late”). I think I’m going to fit in pretty well.
*Full meals (a.k.a., pretty much anything that isn’t breakfast or tapas) consist of two courses AND a dessert. However, Miki assures us that we will not engordarnos (get fat) because olive oil is good for you.
*Women greet both other women and men with a kiss on both cheeks. Men greet each other with a handshake.
*People will shamelessly check you out on the metro. It’s not sexual, and they’re not planning to mug you … there’s just nowhere else to look. Its one big staring contest.
That’s probably enough etiquette for one day, amirite? If you don’t think so, feel free to say so in the comments.
No comments:
Post a Comment