Friday, December 3, 2010

The End

I had the BEST time here – and I’m sure everyone did too. But I have to say that it was not always the easiest, like everything else. There was definitely a feeling of being overwhelmed in a completely new place, loving and being scared of everything in it, missing and actually not missing home at the same time. Some people got homesick for a couple of days and got intimidated by the language.

Four months may seem like a long time, but it flew by. It seemed like yesterday I was just leaving the airport in Syracuse. I leave Spain and come back being a little bit different, more open minded in my perspectives, a lot more thankful for things that we have at home, and a hundredfold richer as persons. I have more than a couple thousand pictures from all of my travels this semester and will never forget what I experienced in Spain and across Europe (as well as the terrorist threats). You gain so much more than you can imagine and the effects can last you a lifetime.

After recovering from the time changes and jet lag, I hope to have some time to reflect on all the wonderful things I had experienced over the last 4 months. Whenever you come home from a trip everyone always asks about your favorites. After struggling with this question I came up with the simple answer — all of Spain, all four months of it.

My goal was to have fun, see all that Spain had to offer, and to practice my Spanish; and that is exactly what I did. In four months, I traveled 15 different cities and experienced the highlights of Spanish culture: bullfighting, flamenco, fiestas, siestas, Spanish tortillas, sangria, museums, cathedrals, synagogues, and mosques. There are very few things that I would change about my trip.

I was also very pleased with my homestay experience and glad that I did have the opportunity to live with a family rather than in apartment or dorm. Living with a family helped me to really experience Spanish culture. It forced me to eat and try Spanish foods, live a typical Spanish lifestyle, and practice Spanish outside the classroom.

Even now as I'm writing about this trip it still seems like a dream; not only Spain, but college in general. The people I have met and the relationships I have made as a result of being a part of the Syracuse family are countless. If someone were to tell me that at 21 years old I would have already traveled Spain, Paris, and London (as well as many other countries in Europe), I would have told them they were crazy.

I would highly recommend to anyone considering studying abroad to do it, no matter where you go or what you study. You can find your own program or sign up for one of Syracuse's programs to London, Strasburg, Florence, among many others. I promise, it's an experience that you will remember and cherish forever.

When we were going in the airport to leave the States, some girls were reluctant to say goodbye and some parents were beginning to cry. It IS hard to let go but deep inside I knew that the same parents would be happy and proud of the same thing. I knew that we were going to have the best time ever. And we did. Muchissimo.

¡Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment